Tuesday, December 4, 2012

In loving memory


Saturday evening I purchased these 3 mason jars because I was just dying to do the whole "epson salts" look like snow candle thing. Sunday afternoon I added the epson salts and then the candles but did not have the time to decorate them before an afternoon appointment. In fact, it wasn't until almost 9:00pm that I decorated and lit these little guys.

Sunday evening I had come home and begun a few things aroung the house and decided to do an inside workout since it was misting and dark outside by the time I got home. In between excercises, I checked my phone nad saw that my mom had called. She didn't leave me a message so I quickly called her back. She pretty quickly asked me if I was alone and I immediately knew- something happened to my grandmother. My mom had informed us last Monday that Grandma was and had been fighting a respiratory infection for a few weeks and not much was helping her. Grandma lives in a nursing home and they were going to try mucinex and some other additional things to try to help her. My mom had gone to visit her on Tuesday and reported that although she was on oxygen she was dancing (bobbing her head) to the music from her dear Hallmark plush Christmas  things. Back to Sunday, December 2, 2012. My mom went over to see Grandma as this day was her birthday- her 94th birthday to be exact.  Only a few hours later, my mom got the dreaded call that Grandma had passed away at about 5:30pm- not even an hour after my uncle had been to visit for her birthday.

So why 3 candles, you might ask? Well, I began to focus on the irony of me buying 3 mason jars on Saturday and the next my Grandma passing away because she makes the 3rd of 4 grandparents that have passed. Sunday evening I lit these candles for not only my Grandmother who passed on her 94th birthday, but also for my Grandfather (her husband) who she lovingly called her Dunny, and for my other grandfather (my father's father) who have been gone since my 6th grade year and Freshman year in college, respectively. So with Grandma's passing, she is able to dance with and enjoy her Dunny again after all these years. My grandma, although she has not been mentally at 100% for quite a number of years, will be deeply missed by my family. She was most often in good spirits and loved to bob her head to the radio or some good old fashioned tunes on old TV shows. She loved seeing her great grandchildren, Adam and Aydan, but only ever got to see pictures of Aldyn. Even just pictures of these kiddos could make her grin ear to ear.

With this being said, I will be taking the rest of the week off from blogging as today is my last day of work for the week as well. I am grateful to have an employer that allows us a generous grievance leave and will be taking the time to spend with my parents, sister and her family and my husband. The service is not until Friday and I just thought it would be best to take the time leading up to it to spend with everyone.

I hope you all have a great week, and I will be back to blogging next week as I have quite a few projects to share :)

4 comments:

littlehomesandbighearts said... [Reply]

Nice blog! Love your top banner! Just started following you and I hope you'll start following me too!
Thanks,
-Michelle

www.littlehomesandbighearts.com

Mary said... [Reply]

Hey there! Hopped on over from Happy-Go-Lucky and am a new follower. I did marching band (and drum corp) as well :o) Very cute site!

Cari @Reach For The Star Berries said... [Reply]

very sorry for your loss. I love that your grandma called her hubby Dunny. It's a sweet nickname. The lights are a beautiful reminder of your family that will be missed and cherished. I hope you are able to enjoy your holiday season and remember all of the happy times.

I'm a new follower from the Mingle With Us bog hop.

Cari @ Reach For The Star Berries
Reach For The Star Berries

Julia @ Mini Van Dreams said... [Reply]

I am so sorry about your grandma. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Julia @ Mom on the Run x2